Safety in our oscar programmes
Steps we take to ensure all children are safe around water:
- A strict 1:6 ratio for all water activities
- Daily 15 metre Swim Test against the current, for all children. This is repeated if the tides or conditions change throughout the day.
- All Staff are water safety trained, and have current First Aid Certifications
- Buoyancy Aids to be worn on all on water activities. (Kayaks, Paddle boards, The Blob, UFO, Pedallos). Wetsuit or a Rash Top must be worn when swimming.
- Wetsuits to stay warm and assist with buoyancy.
- Orange Rash Shirt for sun protection and high visibility; allowing the children to be easily distinguished from the general public.
- Sunscreen to be worn and re-applied at each meal break.
- Hats must be worn when outside and on any excursions off -site.
- Water at least one glass to be consumed at each break time.
The holiday programme is always jam-packed with adventure and excitement. What my children and I live the most is the staff - who are always aware of what the children are doing and may only meet you once but can remember your name and make the kids feel special and that they are safe and belong! Highly recommend the programme and the actual park!
My son has been going to Waimarino after school and during school holidays for a couple years now and he absolutely loves it. He tried a couple other holiday programs prior but he didn’t want to go back. He has never asked not to go. I am more than happy with all the staff there KP, Steph and Julie are amazing. It has given him the opportunity to learn lots of new skills. I love the signing out process and know he is always accounted for and safe! Highly recommended to all.
All of our programmes include
Our After School Adventure Club is led by qualified, safety conscious, and knowledgeable Supervisors. Our staff are passionate about educating children about water safety whilst encouraging students to get out of their comfort zone and try something new.
Our drivers are Full License holders with all trained bus drivers holding their passenger endorsment. Additional training is done on site to ensure that all drivers are competent.
All leaders are first aid certified. We also have First Aid Kits on site at Waimarino Adventure Park and in our Vehicles.
We provide industry standard booster seats which are complusory for all children under 7 years old. In our large passenger vehicles booster seats are not required due to lap belts.
Kayaking and Outdoor Equipment
At Waimarino we provide all equipment that is used to participate in our activities e.g. Buoyancy Aids, Paddles, Kayaks, Paddleboards etc.
In our After School and Holiday Programmes we require all children to have their shoulders covered. We provide Rash Shirts or Wetsuits for the children to wear when in the water, free of charge.